qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] edk2 fails to compile in v4.0.0-rc2

From: Olaf Hering
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] edk2 fails to compile in v4.0.0-rc2
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 13:27:53 +0200

Am Fri, 5 Apr 2019 13:14:35 +0200
schrieb Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <address@hidden>:

> On 4/5/19 12:59 PM, Olaf Hering wrote:
> > Am Fri, 5 Apr 2019 12:49:15 +0200
> > schrieb Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <address@hidden>:
> >
> >> The EDK2 submodule was added for UEFI testing, you don't need to compile
> >> it to build/use QEMU.
> >>
> >> How did you end up compiling it?
> >
> > The qemu.spec file has this since a very long time:
> > make -C roms efirom ${unrelated_settings}
> I don't have any qemu.spec, is it a SUSE file?

Yes, it is part of the qemu package.

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/Virtualization/qemu

> > This used to work still in January with
> > c9d18c1c150c84e7a976df989ad04ddf01083f46.
> Before f590a812c210 the EfiRom tool was not available, now we compile it
> inconditionally.

I wonder why it must be compiled unconditionally.
This is my workaround:

sed -i 'address@hidden@address@hidden' roms/Makefile
efirom=
test -x "$(type -P EfiRom)" && KAPUTT="$_" efirom=efirom
make -C roms ${efirom} KAPUTT=${KAPUTT}

> So I assume your distribution already provides the EfiRom tool. Can you
> point me at the package which provides it? I wonder if your distribution
> use a non-upstreamed patch that change the EDK2 BaseTools PIE/PIC flags.

It is in ovmf-tools.rpm, which comes from ovmf. And looking at this package,
they also had to workaround the fact that edk2 does not cope with PIE.

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/Virtualization/ovmf

Olaf