qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] arm/cpu: fix soft lockup panic after resuming fro

From: Heyi Guo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] arm/cpu: fix soft lockup panic after resuming from stop
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 15:27:16 +0800

Hi Steve,

After reading kernel code about time keeping and something related, I've not
got a clear picture of how we can use MSR_KVM_WALL_CLOCK_NEW to keep wall clock
in guest VM.

1. On X86, MSR_KVM_WALL_CLOCK_NEW is only used by the callback of system
suspend and resume; I didn't find it used for runtime wall clock reading.
2. To use the MSR for wall clock synchronization, shall we register KVM
PV-clock as a higher rating clock source, so that it will be bound to
tk_core.timekeeper and be read at each time of running update_wall_time() in
each timer tick?
3. If the above is true, how can we keep the paravirtualized wall clock always
updated? Is it always trapped to the hypervisor? I'm afraid this may cause
performance loss. If there is no trap and the data is updated by the hypervisor
periodically, how can we guarantee the accuracy?

Meanwhile it seems easier to use KVM_KVMCLOCK_CTRL to get rid of false positive soft lock panic,
and guest can rely on cntvct for wall clock updating as it does now, and it seems not difficult for
the hypervisor to keep cntvct "always on" and "monotonic".

Please let me know if I miss something.

Thanks,
Heyi