qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] curses.c: "We need a terminal output" ?

From: Joachim Durchholz
Subject: [Qemu-devel] curses.c: "We need a terminal output" ?
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 11:02:20 +0200

Hi all,

what's the reasoning behind "We need a terminal output" in curses.c?

I don't really see a scenario where it's problematic if qemu emits escape sequences to a pipe. I have experienced one scenario where it is problematic: It doesn't work properly with pexpect and expectit (a Python and a Java library that do expect). I suspect they fail to use a pty, but then I see no harm in not doing so. I can see another scenario when this is problematic: Unit testing code that directly writes to the console. E.g. testing BIOS code, or testing operating systems when using the serial port is not an option.

Regards,
Jo