qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Booting from a Bootcamp partition

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Booting from a Bootcamp partition
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2019 10:54:00 +0100

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 07:33:17PM -0400, Programmingkid wrote:
> Hi I was wondering if anyone has been able to boot from a bootcamp partition
> inside of QEMU. I know this partition can be used in QEMU but my own attempts
> at booting Windows 7 on my bootcamp partition did not work. I always see "A
> disk read error occurred". Has anyone else been successful at this?

Hi,
It's difficult to help without more information:
1. What is your QEMU command-line?
2. What is the partition table on the disk?

General problems with booting Windows are usually caused by a guest
configuration that doesn't match the hardware configuration that Windows
was installed under.  Can you check that the AHCI bus address of the
disk and partition numbering matches what Windows expected?

It may also be useful to enable tracing (see docs/devel/tracing.txt) to
see what the ahci_* trace event log says.  I have CCed John Snow, one of
the few people who can read this log :).

Stefan