qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/3] VirtIO RDMA

From: Jason Gunthorpe
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/3] VirtIO RDMA
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 13:45:27 -0300

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 01:16:06PM +0200, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
> On 4/15/19 12:35 PM, Yuval Shaia wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 07:02:15PM +0200, Cornelia Huck wrote:

> Typically there will be a one-to-one mapping between QPs and CPUs (on the
> guest).

Er we are really overloading words here.. The typical expectation is
that a 'RDMA QP' will have thousands and thousands of instances on a
system.

Most likely I think mapping 1:1 a virtio queue to a 'RDMA QP, CQ, SRQ,
etc' is a bad idea...

> However, I'm still curious about the overall intent of this driver. Where
> would the I/O be routed _to_ ?
> It's nice that we have a virtualized driver, but this driver is
> intended to do I/O (even if it doesn't _do_ any I/O ATM :-)
> And this I/O needs to be send to (and possibly received from)
> something.

As yet I have never heard of public RDMA HW that could be coupled to a
virtio scheme. All HW defines their own queue ring buffer formats
without standardization.

> If so, wouldn't it be more efficient to use vfio, either by using SR-IOV or
> by using virtio-mdev?

Using PCI pass through means the guest has to have drivers for the
device. A generic, perhaps slower, virtio path has some appeal in some
cases.

> If so, how would we route the I/O from one guest to the other?
> Shared memory? Implementing a full-blown RDMA switch in qemu?

RoCE rides over the existing ethernet switching layer quemu plugs
into

So if you built a shared memory, local host only, virtio-rdma then
you'd probably run through the ethernet switch upon connection
establishment to match the participating VMs.

Jason