Re: [Qemu-discuss] qcow2 loadvm in 'read-only' mode

From: Ottavio
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] qcow2 loadvm in 'read-only' mode
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 17:14:01 +0100

On 26 October 2011 16:40, avadh patel <address@hidden> wrote:
> But the issue is that I want to keep writes in temporary file and also use
> 'loadvm' to load
> CPU and device states.  When I invoke qemu with -loadvm and -snapshot both
> options,
> then qemu doesn't load the VM state and does a normal boot.

As far as I understand, what you want to achieve is a "named
snapshot", that is a temporary file without using -snapshot option.
According to the latest doc file you do this with:

qemu-img snapshot [-l | -a snapshot | -c snapshot | -d snapshot] filename

http://qemu.weilnetz.de/qemu-doc.html#qemu_005fimg_005finvocation

I remember back in the day you would create a named snaphot like this:

qemu-img create -f qcow2 -b base-image.img snapshot.img

I am not sure if this syntax is still supported because I haven't used
it recently, maybe somebody else can help.

--
Ottavio