Re: [Qemu-discuss] Access hardware GPU from Qemu

From: Mike Lovell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Access hardware GPU from Qemu
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 09:57:45 -0700

On 02/15/2012 07:14 AM, Daniel Kraft wrote:
On 10/02/12 17:32, Mike Lovell wrote:
On 02/10/2012 04:42 AM, Daniel Kraft wrote:
I have a Nvidia GeForce GT 520M in my notebook, but so far I was
not able to get the correct driver in my Debian system.  (I'm new
to Debian, though, so I probably just missed the correct
installation procedure yet.)

Since I only want to use it for special purposes (namely, running
CUDA calculations), I wonder whether I could install Windows in a
Qemu system and run the calculations there.  Is it possible to
make Qemu access the GPU for hardware acceleration even when the
host system does not have appropriate drivers?  Something like
giving the guest system full hardware access to the graphics
card?

Maybe that's a stupid idea, but I'm no expert in virtualization
stuff.
its not a stupid idea. there are several cases where using a gpu in
a guest makes sense.

what are the rest of the hardware details of the laptop?
I don't know what you need to know, but for a starter, here's my lspci
output:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor
Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200/2nd Generation Core
Processor Family PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200
Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b4)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev b4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev b4)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev b4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC
Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series
Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family
SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0ded (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation GF108 High Definition Audio
Controller (rev a1)
07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)
08:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8191SEvA Wireless LAN Controller (rev 10)
09:00.0 USB controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host
Controller (rev 04)

k. so you have a sandy bridge based laptop. what processor is in it? if its a core-i3, core-i5 24xx, or one of a few unlucky core-i7s, then it doesn't have the necessary support for VT-d, or 'Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O.' if you have a core i5-25xx or one of the core i7s with support, it will also depend on firmware support from the laptop manufacturer. if you go into your 'BIOS' and look around you might find an option for vt-d or some thing similar. if you find one, make sure to enable it. almost every system i've looked for this on have it disabled by default. then, if you have the option and have it enabled, it will depend on the manufacturer having a implementation of it that works. in the desktop space, there are motherboards that have the options for it but then don't work in linux. asus seems to be notorious for this. i've never looked at doing it for a laptop so i don't know how well the vendors support it.

good luck

mike