[Qemu-discuss] Try Out OCing Software in QEMU?

From: Jake Thomas
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Try Out OCing Software in QEMU?
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 15:09:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hello fellow Qemuers!

    I have been meaning to try this out for a while, but just haven't gotten
around to it yet, so I thought I might as well just ask if it's even possible.

    Although I haven't done too much with this recently, for a while there I
was hunting down software that can be used to overclock the CPU, with one
little requirement: that it be _Linux_ software.

    I started a thread about it over here:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1205257/overclock-cpu-in-linux-necessary-program-names-given/

    Before tinkering with Linux CPU OCing software on my real machine, I would
like to get all the practicing done on a virtual machine running on an emulated
processor.

    Overclocking of the CPU from software that runs in the OS is achieved by
writing to a certain spot in the MSR. The CPU then sends whatever was written
to this spot in the MSR to a PLL system which produces a clock speed. The CPU
is attached to this system and goes however fast the PLL systems make it go.

   Is changing the clock speed of the FSB via writting to the MSR supported
with any of the emulated CPUs in QEMU? Or even changing the multiplier?

   I think QEMU could be a great place for OCers to practice without risking
messing anything up on their real hardware/software.

Cheers,
Jake