[Qemu-discuss] QEMU with pre-created TAP in user mode

From: anatoly techtonik
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] QEMU with pre-created TAP in user mode
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 17:14:32 +0300

Hi,

I've read that QEMU should work in user mode without sudo if TAP
interface is pre-created. But I can not make it work. The interface is
created with sudo:

$ sudo tunctl
Set 'tap0' persistent and owned by uid 0
$ sudo ifconfig tap0 192.168.16.1/24

But when I launch QEMU in user mode - it fails:
$ qemu-kvm -hda linux.img -net user -net nic -net nic -net
tap,ifname=tap0,script=no
qemu-kvm: -net tap,ifname=tap0,script=no: could not configure
/dev/net/tun (tap0): Operation not permitted
qemu-kvm: -net tap,ifname=tap0,script=no: Device 'tap' could not be initialized

Is that possible to run QEMU with TAP device to access guest from host
without giving up admin rights?
Did I miss something?

System is Fedora 17.
--