Re: [Qemu-discuss] Tap Devices

From: Mike Lovell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Tap Devices
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 10:41:04 -0700

On 11/28/2012 12:26 PM, Frans de Boer wrote:
Thanks, I did tried that before and setting the sguid bit did work until the point that the device must be written in the /dev directory, having made the /dev/net/tun node made world RW. Another option is to create a new system group, and assign tunctl, ifconfig and ovs-vsctl to that group. Assigning the new group to the /dev directory does not seem to be a good (security) idea but might solve the issue for now.

on my system, running ubuntu 12.04, /dev/net/tun by default had world RW permissions. i checked the history of udev and its had 0666 as the defaults for several years. i'm somewhat surprised that your system doesn't have it that way. as i understand things, it doesn't hurt to have it world RW since the tun module does permission checking on the ioctl requests used to control it. i could be wrong on that one but seeing that its been that way by default makes me think its not a problem.

the permissions shouldn't really matter though since all of the work to create the tap device should be handled in the helper program. if the helper is running as root, then it should be able to open /dev/net/tun and issue requests to it properly. are you using sgid or suid on the helper? i've never tried it sgid. what does ls -l on the helper look like? it should have a s instead of x for the owner permission and it needs to be owned by root. like

-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 32282 Nov 29 10:29 qemu-bridge-helper

i just ran a vm using the qemu-bridge-helper as shown and running qemu as my unprivileged user and without sudo. i even did a chmod 660 /dev/net/tun first and it still worked.

mike