[Qemu-discuss] qemu-img and qcow2 disk size problem

From: Skardal, Harald
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] qemu-img and qcow2 disk size problem
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 10:00:49 -0400

All,

First question to the list, so let me know if there is a more appropriate forum for these questions:

Platform: Fedora-virt-preview from a couple of weeks back with qemu 1.3.0-9:

address@hidden are]# rpm --query --file /usr/bin/qemu-img

qemu-img-1.3.0-9.fc18.x86_64

address@hidden are]#

With qemu-img, have created a qcow2 file of size 9.7GB.

image: /var/lib/libvirt/images/hsdr01d.d0.img

file format: qcow2

virtual size: 9.7G (10450108416 bytes)

disk size: 136K

cluster_size: 65536

I attach this qcow2 disk successfully:

address@hidden ~]# virsh attach-disk are1 /var/lib/libvirt/images/hsdr01d.d0.img vdb

Disk attached successfully

address@hidden

I go inside the guest and look at the disk:

address@hidden are]# fdisk -l /dev/vdb

Disk /dev/vdb: 1559 MB, 1559322624 bytes, 3045552 sectors

Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

address@hidden are]#

I know this qcow2 disk is /dev/vdb because before the attach /dev/vdb was not there.

The issue: The disk that the guest sees is only 1.5 GB, which is where my writes stop with a write failure.

How do I attach this qcow2 disk in such a way that the guest can see the full virtual size?

Is there anything in the create or attach command that I am missing?

I was going to use nbd on the host, but there is a missing symbol in the version in the repo ….

      Harald