[Qemu-discuss] Windows 3.1 on QEMU

From: Mahir Morshed
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Windows 3.1 on QEMU
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 15:15:08 -0500

Hello to you all.
I am trying to set up a Windows for Workgroups 3.11 machine on QEMU version
1.5.2 obtained from http://lassauge.free.fr/qemu/.

-As part of this setup I want to have 16.7 million color support on an 800x600
window, perhaps more. When I try to install the drivers for the Cirrus Logic
GD5446 graphics card obtained from
http://www.claunia.com/qemu/drivers/index.html, and I set up the resolution as
previously described (under Other Brand and Other Model) and restart Windows,
the screen is completely messed up, with nothing coherent on the screen apart
from the mouse pointer. (Keyboard functions still work, and I was able to
reverse the damage.)

-I also want to configure TCP/IP support solely for Internet access. So I
install the Microsoft Windows Network with TCP/IP 3.2b, manually setting an IP
address to 192.168.1.70 and a default gateway to 192.168.1.1. When I install
IE5.01 and skip the modem setup, it won't navigate to any site.

For posterity, here's the full content of my boot.bat: qemu-system-i386w -hda
wfw311.vhd -hdb fat:/C:/Users/mahir256/Downloads/msdos622-win311 -boot
order=cad -m 128M -soundhw sb16 -vga cirrus -cdrom wfw311.iso -net user -net
nic,model=rtl8139

Never mind the reasons why I would want to run a clearly obsolete OS in the
2010s. I simply wish to know if there's anything I can do to fix these
problems, or if they come from changes in the structure of QEMU since version
0.9.1 (the last version for which someone on the Internet has installed QEMU).
[When I try to run 0.9.1 obtained from Lassauge's page at all, it crashes on my
system.]

-Mahir