[Qemu-discuss] [question] why only one vport in /dev/char/ when I use qe

From: Zhang Haoyu
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] [question] why only one vport in /dev/char/ when I use qemu option "-device virtio-serial, max_ports=2"
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 19:42:17 +0800

Hi, Amit,
I start a VM with the option "-device virtio-serial,max_ports=2", but only one
vport I can see in /dev/char/,
I read the source,

guest virtio console driver
 qemu virtio-serial

virtcons_probe

init_vqs

__send_control_msg(
 VIRTIO_CONSOLE_DEVICE_READY)       =====>                         control_out

         handle_control_message

         QTAILQ_FOREACH(port, &vser->ports, next) {
control_intr                                      <=====
           send_control_event(VIRTIO_CONSOLE_PORT_ADD) }

control_work_handler

add_port

device_create("vport%up%u")

And, I add debug log in virtser_port_device_realize(), find that
virtser_port_device_realize() was called only once,
i.e., only one port in vser->ports,  why?

How does max_ports option take effection ?

Thanks,
Zhang Haoyu