Re: [Qemu-discuss] Installed Ubuntu 14.04 and now getting "unknown OS ty

From: Hans Deragon
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Installed Ubuntu 14.04 and now getting "unknown OS type hvm" on my old VMs.
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 12:33:42 -0400

Greetings,

You put the finger on the problem.  In my xml, I got:

<os>
<type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-1.0'>hvm</type>
<boot dev='hd'/>
</os>

Now, how do I convert my VM to kvm? Does the image itself needs to be converted or only the xml?

My VMs are used at home and it has been years since I did not have to play with them; I just let them run. A testimony to the fabulous technology and stability behind KVM. The drawback is that I am not aware of the changes brought to KVM nor what format are my images and how to manipulate them (it has been too long). Pointers would be appreciated on how to go forward to convert them to the new version of KVM.

Best regards,
Hans Deragon