Re: [Qemu-discuss] Possible to uniquely identify KVM guests?

From: Dale R. Worley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Possible to uniquely identify KVM guests?
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 23:07:20 -0400

Caspar Smit <address@hidden> writes:
> I'm looking for a way to uniquely identify a KVM guest on different
> hosts (to prevent running a single license multiple times).

It's very difficult to do this unless the hardware provides a "processor
serial number" instruction that isn't privileged, i.e., doesn't cause
an interrupt that the KVM system can intercept and simulate the output
of.

Otherwise, even if you can discover some sort of identifier that can be
extracted from the KVM environment, someone else can "improve" KVM to
provide a simulation that be configured to a fixed value.

Dale