[Qemu-discuss] A helpful tool for Windows Guests in QEMU

From: Eaton, Marcus
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] A helpful tool for Windows Guests in QEMU
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 23:30:55 -0700

Hello everyone.

I've recently made a ISO that you can easily attach to a QEMU guest that will help install the VirtIO and SPICE drivers, similar to ease of use and simplicity of VMWare's Guest Tools ISO.

The git repo is over here: http://bitbucket.org/marcuseaton/qemu-win-guest-tools/

Features include:

-Autodetection of 32-bit or 64-bit OS
-Automatic download of latest VirtIO and SPICE Guest drivers (can optionally be skipped)
-No extra dependencies in the operating system, the ISO is fully self-contained

There are no extraneous requirements (except for access to the internet to download the newest version of the drivers, if you choose) and I've thoroughly tested this with a Windows 7 guest, but it should work for XP guests (and maybe even older).

Granted I'm no programmer (just a humble system admin) so I eagerly welcome any and all criticism. I've found it quite helpful and I hope you do too, if you have a need for this.

If this sort of thing isn't welcome here then I sincerely apologize.

Thanks,
Marcus Eaton

Crisis Response Unit - PC Repair for your technology crisis!

This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and/or privileged information. Please contact us immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication and do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed.