[Qemu-discuss] bdrv_read vs. bdrv_pread

From: Inbal Beka
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] bdrv_read vs. bdrv_pread
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 23:26:36 +0300

Hey

I have QEMU running a guest. In the meanwhile, I want to read chunks of the guest disk image (qcow2 with long image chain - many backing files).

I saw the qemu-io utility and was trying to understand how to use it.
In particular, I want to understand what is the difference between bdrv_read and bdrv_pread.
Is any of them better in performance? Is any of them is preferred for a background service while QEMU is running?

Thanks,
Inbal