Re: [Qemu-discuss] qemu-system-arm issues adding second NIC/bridge

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] qemu-system-arm issues adding second NIC/bridge
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 17:36:43 +0100

On 27 March 2016 at 11:03, Pat <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is a repost from UNIX StackExchange, I figured many people here
> probably don't follow qemu questions there..
>
> I am running Qemu under a host with two bridge interfaces and would simply
> like to bridge them to guest NICs. All of this works fine when bridging one
> NIC either by creating a bridge manually or using qemu-bridge-helper such
> as:
>
> qemu-system-arm -M vexpress-a9 -cpu cortex-a9 -smp 4 -m 1024 -kernel
> kernel/linux/arch/arm/boot/zImage -append 'root=/dev/ram rootfstype=ramfs
> rdinit=/sbin/init console=ttyAMA0 noswap rw loglevel=3' -sd ramdisk/qemu
> -nographic -redir tcp:2200::22 -net nic -net bridge,br=br0
>
> However simply adding another -net nic -net bridge,br=br1 yields following,
> and only the first NIC is seen by guest:
>
> Warning: hub port hub0port2 has no peer
> Warning: netdev hub0port2 has no peer
> Warning: requested NIC (anonymous, model unspecified) was not created (not
> supported by this machine?)

This is because this machine only supports a single built in ethernet
adaptor. You can't have two ethernet adaptors on the real hardware
board, so you can't have them in QEMU either. If you want two NICs
you'll need to switch to a board which supports them (likely one
with PCI support, eg "virt").

thanks
-- PMM