Re: [Qemu-discuss] How to resolve "Failed to mmap" error?

From: A223 A223
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] How to resolve "Failed to mmap" error?
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2016 20:30:34 -0700

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 9:33 AM, Alex Williamson
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 02:13:21 -0700
> A223 A223 <address@hidden> wrote:
>> How can I go about tracking down the root cause of this error?
>
> This often means that the device resources are in use by another,
> non-pci driver.  Look in /proc/iomem and /proc/ioport to see if any
> drivers are claiming sub-regions on the device.  You can also turn on
> tracing and look for the event vfio_region_mmap_fault, which might give
> us more information (see docs/tracing.txt).  Also, please provide 'sudo
> lspci -vvvs 5:00.0' so we can see the device resources.  Thanks,

The simpletrace output wouldn't parse for me using the python script
(I'll paste the trace at the end of this email), so I used the ftrace
backend instead (
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwjufq6oAZMfMVpUYTUxODR0NW8 ). It's
quite large and I'm not sure what I'm looking for, so I didn't look at
it very carefully.

I did examine the output from the commands/files you mentioned
(attached). The only thing I noticed is that 5:00.0 is sharing an IRQ
with the onboard EHCI controller on the host, but I'm not sure if
that's an issue. It's also quite possible I missed some other obvious
problem. Please let me know if you have any insights.

Regarding simpletrace, I would get the following errors when I ran the
python command:

./scripts/simpletrace.py trace-events trace-12695
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./scripts/simpletrace.py", line 195, in <module>
    run(Formatter())
  File "./scripts/simpletrace.py", line 170, in run
    process(events, sys.argv[2], analyzer, read_header=read_header)
  File "./scripts/simpletrace.py", line 145, in process
    for rec in read_trace_records(edict, log):
  File "./scripts/simpletrace.py", line 79, in read_trace_records
    rec = read_record(edict, fobj)
  File "./scripts/simpletrace.py", line 59, in read_record
    return get_record(edict, rechdr, fobj) # return tuple of record elements
  File "./scripts/simpletrace.py", line 40, in get_record
    event = edict[event_id]
KeyError: 1791

Thanks, Andrew