[Qemu-discuss] Windows marks read-only disks as failed

From: Tomáš Vondra
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Windows marks read-only disks as failed
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 14:45:19 +0200

Hi!

We have a public OpenStack cloud and on it a backup and restore service for
Linux, which mounts virtual disk snapshots read-only. We wanted to use the same
for Windows.

When Windows is presented with a hot-plugged virtio-scsi device which is
read-only, it marks it as failed, doesn't show any partitions, doesn't allow to
online it, and of course cannot clear the read-only flag, as most articles on
the 'net suggest.

Any tips to make this work? Or is there and inherent limitation of Windows or
the Windows virtio drivers so it won't work no matter what we do?

Thanks, Tomas, homeatcloud.cz