[Qemu-discuss] Setting disk description strings

From: DS Jstc
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Setting disk description strings
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2017 20:04:51 -0700

I'm trying to fool some Windows software into thinking it's running on bare metal. Having successfully done it in VirtualBox, I believe the only thing standing between me success, is the way the Qemu disk driver describes itself to the OS. In VirtualBox, I'd just set the following extra data and be away to the races:

VBoxManage setextradata WIN10-STEALTH "VBoxInternal/Devices/ahci/0/Config/Port0/ModelNumber" "SEAGATE ST3750525AS" VBoxManage setextradata WIN10-STEALTH "VBoxInternal/Devices/ahci/0/Config/Port0/SerialNumber" "a123456789" VBoxManage setextradata WIN10-STEALTH "VBoxInternal/Devices/ahci/0/Config/Port0/FirmwareRevision" "1.23"

Is there any way to similarly override the descriptive reporting for the Qemu disk driver? Could I just manually use a different windows driver?

Alternately, I have a SATA drive that I can dedicate to this VM (but not a spare SATA controller). I've successfully hooked it up as a raw block device and booted from it, like this:

    <disk type='block' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source dev='/dev/sdb'/>
      <target dev='sda' bus='sata'/>
      <boot order='2'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>
    </disk>

It doesn't help. If I look at the device details in the Windows 10 guest, it still has a "bus reported device description" of "QEMU HARDDISK". I'd assume that's because I'm using the 'qemu' driver in libvirt, and that's what the hypervisor is returning to the guest's disk driver. Is there another qemu-side driver I can use for a passed through raw device?

Apologies if this is documented somewhere. I've searched quite a bit and not found anything that seemed relevant -- what should I be reading?