Re: [Qemu-discuss] Decoupled my boot disk from qemu guest

From: Jakob Bohm
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Decoupled my boot disk from qemu guest
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2017 21:09:14 +0200

Note: Delayed resend due to mail problems

On 28/09/2017 23:31, Gary Roach wrote:
Hi all,
While trying to increase the virtual storage space on my hard disk, I screwed up and created another virtual disk and in the process decoupled the first disk from qemu. Since the boot system is on the original virtual disk, I'm dead in the water. How can I recouple the disk to qemu?
Debian 9 host
Kubuntu 17.04 guest
Qemu-kvm 1.4.0

First of all, I would recommend you copy the virtual disk image
somewhere else, in case the attempts to fix things causes some
bug to delete or corrupt it.

If you are using "bare" qemu (i.e. running the qemu-kvm or
qemu-system-x86_64 program yourself), then simply running qemu
again with the boot virtual disk in it's proper place will fix it,
because qemu itself doesn't remember anything from one run to the
next.

If you are using libvirt to run qemu, use "virsh edit" to manually
edit the configuration file of a "not running" virtual machine to
bypass the UI automation that may be getting in the way of
connecting an existing virtual disk image where you want it.

Enjoy

Jakob