Re: [Qemu-discuss] virt-manager: audio without virtualized display ?

From: Kai Peter
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] virt-manager: audio without virtualized display ?
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 08:23:36 +0100

On 2018-03-15 20:27, Toerless Eckert wrote:
I am somewhat puzzled, setting up a qemu VM via virt-manager. Debian host,
win10 VM. Graphic is passthrough (works fine). Audio is meant to use
the host audio.

But it seems i get audio only when i also have host video. Even when i
keep host video with video qxl and display spice, and just disable the
graphics device in windows, Sound will from the windows VM stops.

I couldn't find a good explanation, documentation seems to be lacking:

man qemu-system-x86_64 ==
https://qemu.weilnetz.de/doc/qemu-doc.html (from
https://www.qemu.org/documentation/)

only explains "-soundhw" option.

The VMs created from virt-manager do not even use "-soundhw". When i change
in virt-manager the "Sound Device", it impacts only the following qemu
parameter:

 -device intel-hda,id=sound0,bus=pci.2,addr=0x2
 -device ich9-intel-hda,id=sound0,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1b

So... whats the difference between these devices and -soundhw ? And where are
these devices documented (outside of virt-manager source code...) ?

More importantly, how are these virtual devices mapped to anything on the host ?

"qemu --audio-help" gives some hints that seems to be documented nowhere else, but quite incomplete. For example it lists some drivers like pa, oss,
but does not even mention that you need to set some environment
variable QEMU_AUDIO_DRV
to make these work. Thats only to be found on some third party like archlinux
web pages.

And then thee are bugs like
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/1246929
seemingly indicating as if virt-manager doesn't seem to bother to
support
any way of passing those environment variables to qemu when it starts it. And
comments like "use alsa, not pulseaudio". Whereas on my latest debian,
"qemu --audio-help" does not even show alsa.

And even if i would figure this all out with some hack like preepending a qemu shim to setting environment variables to the qemu binary... it still doesn't explain to me how qemu is mapping from e.g.: multiple specified virtual devices
(e.g.: one ich6, one ich9) to whatever driver is used...

Is this even the right list to ask for virt-manager, or do i first split up the questioning about qemu binary vs. virt-manager to two mailing lists... ?

Thanks
    Toerless

I couldn't answer your question, but I have had a similar situation some time ago. I don't use virt-manager, but the audio configuration I tried in the same way like you was really strange. Somehow I got it working, but there came up some issues like distortion. At least I ended up to use PCI passthru for audio in win 10.

Maybe that's an option.

--
Sent with eQmail-1.11 beta2