[Qemu-discuss] qemu-kvm and qemu-system-x86_64

From: Deneau, Tom
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] qemu-kvm and qemu-system-x86_64
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 17:29:15 +0000

My situation: I want to run a KVM-accelerated qemu but I want to build
everything involved from the latest sources and use those instead of any
downloadable distro packages.  (This is on SLES12-SP3 although I don't think
the distro matters).

I am able to build and install from
   * http://github.com/qemu/qemu using  ../configure
--target-list=x86_64-softmmu --enable-kvm --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
   * http://github.com/libvirt/libvirt  using ./configure --prefix=/usr
--sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var

Before running make install,  I also removed the existing distro packages like
libvirt, libvirt-client, qemu-kvm, etc.

My  question:  In the installed distro packages there was an executable,
/usr/libexec/qemu-kvm
But after building and installing qemu from sources as above, I did not see any
new qemu-kvm.
Is there some other repository I need to build from to get qemu-kvm?

I ask because I am starting vms using virsh define xyz.xml; virsh start xyz.
And in the original .xml files I had the following under devices:
       <emulator>/usr/libexec/qemu-kvm</emulator>

Can I replace that with
   <emulator>/usr/local/bin/qemu-system-x86_64</emulator>

And given that I am already using
    <os>
        <type>hvm</type>
        <boot dev="hd"></boot>
    </os>

Will I get the same KVM acceleration as I was previously getting by using
qemu-kvm?

-- Tom Deneau