Re: [Qemu-discuss] Mouse / keyboard input latency in VM

From: Alex John
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Mouse / keyboard input latency in VM
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2018 19:30:09 +0800

On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 01:14:44AM +0100, Tom Tom wrote:

> Hello, what are possibilities for passing input into VM (which I know):
>
>    - KVM switch (baremetal performance / latency)
>    - Pass whole USB port into VM (baremetal performance / latency)
>    - Synergy (over network, for example localhost)
>    - Spice (as far as I know, LookingGlass uses this as default)
>    - Evdev (this is what I found, it should be something like event handler
>    which is built into Linux kernel and qemu can work with it and I read that
>    it should be low latency)
I use evdev because I'm a very casual user of the VM. I don't have the latency
numbers right now because I'm traveling but I can try to get you the DPC Latency
Checker screenshots in a couple of weeks.

I wouldn't recommend evdev for online gaming or for games sensitive to latency
(CSGO, etc.) but worked fine for single player games or general seamless use of
the VM <-> host for everyday uses.