Re: How to start most minimal VM (no PCI) with a network to log in over

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: How to start most minimal VM (no PCI) with a network to log in over SSH?
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 15:57:10 +0200

  Hi,

> > I’d like to start the most minimal VM possible, but still want to be
> > able to log in over SSH. With QEMU 7.2.1 the command below fails, as
> > am passing an incompatible NIC model:

> I've never tried it, so no clue whether it works, but you might want to
> try:
>
>  -netdev user,id=n1 -device virtio-net-device,netdev=n1

Should work (and give you virtio-net via virtio-mmio transport).

virtio-pci transport can be used as well but requires -machine pcie=on,
which isn't "most minimal".

>  -netdev user,id=n1 -device ne2k_isa,netdev=n1

Should work too, but I'd guess finding a linux distro kernel which has
isa nic drivers enabled these days is a challenge ;)

take care,
  Gerd