qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] [Qemu-devel] broken incoming migration

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] [Qemu-devel] broken incoming migration
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 19:33:35 +1000

On Mon, 2013-06-10 at 19:10 +1000, Alexey Kardashevskiy wrote:
> > I would prefer not to completely drop the patch since it saves bandwidth and
> > resources.
>
> I would like migration to do what it should do - send pages no matter what,
> this is exactly what migration is for. If there any many, many empty pages
> (which I doubt to be a very often real life case), they could all merged in
> big consecutive chunks and sent at the end of migration.

I tend to agree. The problem of sending empty pages is purely a problem of
compression. If the current mechanism is deemed "not efficient enough" for
in the case of having lots of zero-pages, then by all means invent a better
packet format for more tightly representing them on the wire, but don't
break things by not sending them at all.

Cheers,
Ben.