qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] ERROR: Unable to handle kernel paging request for data ..

From: Michael Tokarev
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] ERROR: Unable to handle kernel paging request for data ...
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 17:04:38 +0400

11.06.2013 16:59, Alexander Graf wrote:
> On 06/11/2013 12:29 PM, Luisa Posani wrote:
>> Hi guys
>>
>> I have some problems with qemu-system-ppc.
>> I tried if someone else had the same problem in the community but nothing...
[big snip]
>> qemu version is different :
>> on pc that work fine I have
>> QEMU emulator version 1.1.2 (Debian 1.1.2+dfsg-6a)
>>
>> on pc that work bad I have
>> QEMU PC emulator version 0.12.5 (Debian 0.12.5+dfsg-3squeeze3)
>>
>> PC are update
>
> That indicates that using a newer version fixes the issue, so from my point
> of view all is fine. Mjt, is there any way you could help Luisa to get a
> backported newer version onto her Debian system?

Well, the old version which does not work is Debian 5.0 codename
Squeeze, which is oldstable now.  New version which works is
Debian 6.0 codename Wheezy, which is current stable version.

It is not really realistic to backport things to that old
version, especially since:

 - we have current stable already which works
 - we have backports to oldstable which should work too

But I'd really suggest to upgrade squeeze to wheezy.
Oldstable squeeze receives only security updates now,
not regular bugfixes, and upgrade plan is quite well
tested by now too, already.

Thanks,

/mjt