qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] [OpenBIOS] Changing CD-ROM path

From: Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] [OpenBIOS] Changing CD-ROM path
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 16:25:19 +0100

On 22/06/13 22:47, Programmingkid wrote:

Paths also depend on how you pass boot device:

For example with
-drive file=/path/to/cdrom.iso,media=cdrom,index=0,if=ide

I get
ide0 "/address@hidden/address@hidden/ata-1/cdrom"
cd "/address@hidden/address@hidden/ata-1/cdrom"
cdrom "/address@hidden/address@hidden/ata-1/cdrom"
ide1 "/address@hidden/address@hidden/ata-2/cdrom"

(also now that I look at it should this ide1 even be here?)

and with -cdrom /path/to/cdrom.iso

ide0 "/address@hidden/address@hidden/ata-2/cdrom"
cdrom "/address@hidden/address@hidden/ata-2/cdrom"
cd "/address@hidden/address@hidden/ata-2/cdrom"

Thank you sooo much for this information. With it was able to go further
than before in the boot process! This day was definitely a step forward
in making Mac OS X boot in QEMU. The Mac OS 10.2 cd stopped after the
COLOR display text, but the darwin 8 cd was able to boot considerably
further than before.

Before I would only see up to this in on the screen:
IOService:/GossamerPE/address@hidden/AppleGracklePCI/address@hidden/CMD646Root/address@hidden

Hmmmm last time I tried I couldn't even get the IOService to match - maybe some of the recent IDE fixes in QEMU have got this to work?

After using your command line suggestion, I see this in QEMU when
booting Darwin 8 (core of Mac OS X):
IOService:/GossamerPE/address@hidden/AppleGracklePCI/address@hidden/Heathrow/address@hidden/HeathrowATA/address@hidden/IOATAPIProtocolTransport/IOSCSIPeripheralDevieNub/IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceType05/IODVDServices/IODVDBlockStorageDriver/QEMU
QEMU DVD-ROM Media

A lot more than before!

Excellent :)

This is what I see on a real Beige G3:
IOService:/GossamerPE/address@hidden/AppleGracklePCI/address@hidden/Heathrow/address@hidden/HeathrowATA/address@hidden/ATAPIProtocolTransport/IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceNub/IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceType05/IODVDServices/IODVDBlockStorageDriver/HL-DT-ST
DVD-RW GCA-4020B Media/IOCDPartitionScheme/Untitled
address@hidden/IOApplePartititionScheme/address@hidden

So what's next is making the IOCDPartitionScheme show up.

Have you had a look at the Darwin source to see how this is actually detected?

This path change definitely needs to be made to QEMU.

There seems to have been a lot to this thread over the weekend, however am I right in guessing that the primary change is switching the CDROM over from the CMD646 IDE bus to the MacIO IDE bus?

If anyone wants to help but don't have Mac OS X, you can download the
free Darwin 8 cd image here: darwinppc-801.cdr.gz
<http://www.opensource.apple.com/static/iso/darwinppc-801.cdr.gz>.

Will this actually work? Last I remember from Alex was that the Mac device model generated by QEMU would only work with MacOS <= 10.3, and the release notes in the same directory indicate that 801 is equivalent to the kernel for MacOS 10.4. It's for this reason that I've been using darwinppc-602.cdr.gz for all my tests here.

Also Amadeusz, didn't you have some extra patches for -M mac99 Darwin boot that still need to be reviewed by Alex?

ATB,

Mark.