qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] VxWorks 5.5.1 on qemu powerpc

From: FOURNIER Maxime
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] VxWorks 5.5.1 on qemu powerpc
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 16:33:33 +0200

Thanks for these answers.

> You can check in the board file. The main difference today is that the
> e500 machine loads the -kernel blob directly and jumps to it first thing
> while the "desktop class"
> platforms load a firmware blob which then bootstraps into the kernel.

So apparently VxWorks needs to be loaded as a blob to boot.
Ok it may explains why the emulation starts on e500 and not on PReP, but we did
not test with a compatible
e500 bsp, we do not have one at this time.

> I'm not sure what you're expecting to happen. If you take your VxWorks image
> and put it into a real
> PReP machine, does it work? If not, why would it work in QEMU? If you take a
> real Apple Mac and try
> to run VxWorks there, does it boot? If not, why should it boot in QEMU's
> model of that machine?

We tested it with an image build with a generic prep bsp (Motorola 600 and 604)
we had in stock.
We didn't expect anything in particular as we wanted to see it would run and
what errors would occur.
But we did not validate the bsp was functional as we did not manage to run the
kernel under
the "desktop class" prep and mac99 platforms.
That's the problem: we cannot say because the image does not seem to be
executed.
A Linux image works fine with this command:
$ qemu-system-ppc -kernel vmlinux

> There's different way to deal with this, you can either create a custom BSP
> in
> vxWorks that support one of QEMU's board, or you can support a new board in
> QEMU (that's what we
> do).

We know the final board we target is not supported by qemu at this moment.
We did not try to run its specific VxWorks image under qemu because we knew it
would crash as it's
not supported.
The targeted platform is a pn3+ board and we have its own bsp for vxworks.
So I guess we have to code our own bsp for 5.5.1 on e 500 or add a new platform
supported by the bsp we target.
The consideration of which solution (bsp or board) we're going to choose is
will be considered soon.

> Of course you can take a look at our QEMU repository [1], But as I said
> we do not support vxWorks5 for the moment.

Sure we're going to take a look and see if can translate it to VxWorks 5.5.1.

> As long as I have a (vxworks) image I can verify with that it still works
> that's a perfectly desirable thing to have.

If you manage to make it work, can you tell us the details
(VxWorks version, bsp, platform and command line) please?

Thanks.

Maxime