qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] qemu-system-ppc64 -M ppce500 always booting to qemu monit

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] qemu-system-ppc64 -M ppce500 always booting to qemu monitor console plus no output on serial console
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 16:24:31 +0100

On 12/16/2015 03:26 PM, Do Vincenzo wrote:
On 16.12.15  14:38, Alexander Graf wrote:
Please don't top post on this mailing list :). Just write your replies
below the previous ones at the place the original question was.
Ok got it, I'm just not that used to sending e-mails on these lists.

Yes, the option is correct. So that's not the problem. One thing you
could try is to pass the uImage into -kernel rather than the kernel.
So I've already tried to use the uImage but still no output.

If that doesn't help, we need to dive into some debugging :). Boot the
VM with the -s -S parameters. Then on a different shell do
$ gdb vmlinux -ex 'target remote localhost:1234'
In the following gdb shell, type
(gdb) c
after a bit, Ctrl-C and checl where you are
(gdb) bt
Also try to print the log buffer:
(gdb) x /200c __log_buf
That should give some hints on what's going wrong.
Alex
Here's the log buffer after the steps you described:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/14050259/

This shows all zeros, so we didn't get far. Which made me realize another thing missing from your command line: the CPU type.

Please add -cpu e5500 to the QEMU parameters. If that doesn't help, run without KVM and add -D log -d in_asm,cpu,int and look at the "log" file. Up to which point does booting get?

Alex