qemu-stable

[Qemu-stable] Building from source

From: Joshua Cannell
Subject: [Qemu-stable] Building from source
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 13:12:19 -0600

Hello,

I'm having some issues using libvirt snapshots after building QEMU from source. I'm not sure if this is the right area to post these questions but I guess I'll find out.

I using QEMU 2.2.0.
I need to compile QEMU from source because there slight changes I need to make to the source. However, I can't seem to get snapshots working even if I don't change anything.

I can configure, make, and install a completely unmodified QEMU from source just fine. However, I can't successfully revert to snapshots created for my VMs using virsh or virt-manager.

Here is how I'm compiling it:
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
sudo checkinstall

I just call the package qemu 2.2.0 and it's built and installed.

When I open my VM in virt-manager, I take a snapshot. However, when I try revertting I get:

Error running snapshot 'base': operation failed: Error -22 while loading VM state

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/josh/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 89, in cb_wrapper
    callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/josh/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 125, in tmpcb
    callback(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/josh/virt-manager/virtManager/domain.py", line 1039, in revert_to_snapshot
    self._backend.revertToSnapshot(snap.get_backend())
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/libvirt.py", line 1796, in revertToSnapshot
    if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainRevertToSnapshot() failed', dom=self)
libvirtError: operation failed: Error -22 while loading VM state

The domain is paused. When I resume it, it displays the Windows Error Recovery screen.
I tried the same thing creating a snapshot with virsh, same error.
If I first shutdown the VM, and then revert to the snapshot, it goes straight to the Error console again.

Here is my virsh version info:
Compiled against library: libvirt 1.2.2
Using library: libvirt 1.2.2
Using API: QEMU 1.2.2
Running hypervisor: QEMU 2.2.0

Whenever I install QEMU from the repos, everything works fine, but I need to build it from source for a project I'm working on so that's not an option. However, when I use the QEMU install I built from source, everything else seems to work fine, except for snapshots.

Any help would be really, really appreciated.

--
-Josh