Re: [Qexo-general] re: building XQuery libs

From: Ivelin Ivanov
Subject: Re: [Qexo-general] re: building XQuery libs
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 08:11:10 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Per Bothner" <address@hidden>
To: "Ivelin Ivanov" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 1:05 AM

> Ivelin Ivanov wrote:
> > Is it possible to build an XQuery package or library?
> > I looked at the standard and examples, but couldn't see a way to use
> > functions defined in other files. Are XML entities allowed for that?
>
> This new article includes examples of calling Java methods
> from XQuery:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/qexo/Running.html

Thanks. I already saw that from a previous posting.
I guess you acknowledge that XQuery does not have
a standard built in feature to reference other files.

> Also when you compile an XQuery program that does becomes
> a Java method that other XQuery programs call.  However,
> I haven't really documented that because I'd like to
> change how XQuery programs ae mapped to Java.  Of course
> I don't know when I'll haev time for that, so maybe I should
> make some interim documentation ...

I think that it is important to extend QEXO in a way which will not
promote xql code that is tied to the language implementation.
For example the Oracle implementation is full with proprietary extensions.
Not very good.
Makes XQuery look weak as a language.
So a document or a discussion thread on how to extend it to call Java
methods will be nice.

Best,

Ivelin