Re: [Qexo-general] Collection

From: Ali Mesbah
Subject: Re: [Qexo-general] Collection
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 17:34:45 +0100

As quoted from Per Bothner <address@hidden>:
> Ali Mesbah wrote:
> >Does qexo implement the Collection function? I would namely like to use
> >XQuery
> >on a native XML database.
>
> No, it doesn't.  The specification is too vague to know *what* to
> implement, unless you have a specific application (database) in
> mind.

I'm using Xindice and what I need is a way to communicate with the database
through qexo. A collection function like the X-Hive have implemented would be
ideal:

let $persons := collection("/db/person/")

for instance.

What the collection function has to do is basically make an XML file from all
the documents in the /db/person collection and return that.

So Collection("/db/person/") would for instance return:

<collection>
  <person>
    <name>n1</name>
    <phone>1234</phone>
  </person>
  <person>
    <name>n2</name>
    <phone>3455</phone>
    <phone>6788</phone>
  </person>
</collection>

This way you can make an interface to the database
on which an XQuery can be applied.

> Basically what you need is some some "parser" or interface
> that can generate Consumer events.  Beyond that it is very
> open-ended.

Could you expand on this?

Thanks,