Re: [Quilt-dev] auto~conf/make

From: Martin Quinson
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] auto~conf/make
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:46:18 +0100

Sorry, I'm going to do a short answer to a long mail ;)

If I understood well, you're maintaining a parallel version of quilt to allow
extra stuff to be placed in external packages.
So, what changes do you need to quilt so that you can use the CVS version
with no modification ? I guess you have patches already available for that
somewhere. Could we see them? Or even better, could you commit them?
We could tag and release the current CVS, and start for another round of
developpement, consisting in integrating your ideas.

Could we imagine that the external packages you did develop can land in the
same CVS than quilt ? Afterall, you've a write acces to the CVS, also, so
you could put your extra developpements there, couldn't you?

To say it another way, you kind of convinced me of the useness of automake,
and even more, of the use of autoconf to change not only the first line of
every script to point to the right location of bash, but also to choose the
right implementation of every feature (like mkdir) in the body of scripts
themselves. So, instead of discussing over and over what should be done, why
don't we begin to implement (or integrate) that ?

I'm more confident in scripting than in english discussions ;)

Thanks for your time and patience, Mt.