Re: [Quilt-dev] Refresh and hardlinks

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Refresh and hardlinks
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 12:02:02 +0200

Hi Andreas,

[Jean Delvare]
> Sounds sane to me, no objection - although I'd like to be told about
> scenarii where hardlinked patch files are used.

[Andreas Gruenbacher]
> Well, they were simply written to up to now. With the patch, a new
> patch is  created instead.

That wasn't my question ;)

I know cases where people will duplicate a tree of source code using
hardlinks, so as to save space and improve the diffing speed. But I was
wondering which kind of work would take benefit of patch series being
duplicated using hardlinks. The space benefit seems to be rather thin
unless there are many many patches, and I wouldn't expect people to run
diff of patch files on a regular basis either.

But OTOH I guess there is a reason why you are proposing that change,
someone out there must have a need for it?

Thanks,