[Quilt-dev] Re: gawk 3.0.6 doesn't support asort

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: [Quilt-dev] Re: gawk 3.0.6 doesn't support asort
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:18:00 +0200 (CEST)

Hi John,

[Jean Delvare]
> > Also, your extension of the sort test looks interesting, so I plan to
> > commit it at the same time.

[John Vandenberg]
> that extension to the sort test is necessary in order to ensure sort
> does the right thing wrt the added files.  At present, the test is
> only verifying that the "files_in_patch" come back sorted; whereas I
> think it is supposed to also sort the "filenames_in_patch" that are
> not part of "files_in_patch".

files_in_patch is actually supposed to come back in order, not sorted
(unless --sort is used) and that's what the test was checking, together
with the fact that added files are put after the existing ones (but that
one would be quite hard to fail.) I fully agree that this wasn't
sufficient. Even with your extension it hardly is, as having two values
come back in the expected order has a 50% probability to happen. We
probably should add even more files in this test to make it more rebust.

> Do your changes pass my test?  I will test your change today to
> confirm it works on OS X, Solaris and MSYS.

Yes, I tested my code with your extended test case and it passed OK.

Thanks,