Re: [Quilt-dev] new compatibility getopt

From: John Vandenberg
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] new compatibility getopt
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 19:58:14 +1000

On 9/19/05, Jean Delvare <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am testing the new compatibility stuff on my Solaris workstation right
> now, and have the following problem: /usr/bin/getopt is broken,
> configure suggests that I use --with-getopt=none, which I do, but then
> configure still tries to check that getopt supports --long. It tests
> "getopt" which happens to be /usr/bin/getopt, rather than the
> compatibility reimplementation. The check obviously fails, and configure
> stops here.
>
> At this point, compat/getopt doesn't exist yet, so we can't seem to
> possibly test it. OTOH we ship it so it shouldn't need testing. So the
> best thing to do here would be to simply skip tests on each command for
> which a compatibility replacement will be used.
>
> Unfortunately, I have no idea how to have configure.ac do this, I hope
> someone can help.

Hi Jean,

This is catered for in my second incarnation of the compatibility
layer.  I am in the process of rebasing that on the current version.
In the meantime, using --with-getopt=/path/to/gnu/getopt should work.

If you dont have that, you can manually include getopt using the following

$ make compat/getopt.in
$ sed -ie '/^COMPAT_PROGRAMS/{s/\(.*\)/\1 getopt/}' Makefile
$ make install

--
John