Re: [Quilt-dev] dropping a patch

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] dropping a patch
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 22:51:01 +0200

Hi Randy,

[Randy Dunlap]
> > > Am I missing some shortcut to drop a patch (that may contain
> > > patches to multiple files)?
> > >
> > > Do I actually have to go thru:
> > >
> > >   quilt push # make sure that it is applied since 'remove' seems to
> > >           # work only on applied patches
> > >   quilt files # list all of them since I forgot what they are
> > >   quilt remove file1 file2 file3 file4 file5...
> > >   quilt delete drop-this.patch # top patch filename

[Jean Delvare]
> > I doubt this would work. "quilt remove" restores the files as they were
> > at the time they were added to the patch, so the above sequence doesn't
> > actually do anything (besides deleting the patch itself.)

[Randy Dunlap]
> 1/  The patch was bad/wrong, so I _want_ quilt remove to restore
> the files to their previous state.  That's what I want drop to do
> (or maybe I should call it "revert").

You should call it "delete" ;) The behavior you describe is exactly what
"quilt delete" does. The sequence in your example above (push, remove
files, delete) is equivalent to "quilt delete -n".

> 2/  The sequence above does work for what I want to do, it's just
> cumbersome...  OK, I'll write a script for it.
> And check on Josh's drop patches.

You will probably not like them if what you call "drop" is what we call
"delete". Josh's "drop" function does not discard the changes, it's
quite the opposite: it removes them from quilt's control by making them
part of the base code.