Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch 2/3] Use proper signature separator

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch 2/3] Use proper signature separator
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 23:25:47 +0200

Hi all,

> On Thursday, 31 August 2006 22:29, Dave Dodge wrote:
> > >
> > > Define "proper" please.  Why does this matter?
> >
> > Some mail programs and filtering scripts expect it to be that way.
>
> Can you point me at examples, or at an I-D, RFC, etc.?

http://rfc.sunsite.dk/rfc/rfc2646.html

"4.3.  Usenet Signature Convention

   There is a convention in Usenet news of using "-- " as the separator
   line between the body and the signature of a message.  When
   generating a Format=Flowed message containing a Usenet-style
   separator before the signature, the separator line is sent as-is.
   This is a special case; an (optionally quoted) line consisting of
   DASH DASH SP is not considered flowed."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signature_block

"The formatting of the sig block is prescribed somewhat more firmly: it
should be displayed as plain text in a fixed-width font (no HTML,
images, or other rich text), and must be delimited from the body of the
message by a single line consisting of exactly two hyphens, followed by
a space, followed by the end of line (i.e., "-- \n"). This latter
prescription, which goes by many names, including "sig dashes",
"signature cut line", and "sig-marker", allows software to
automatically mark or remove the sig block as the receiver desires. A
correct delimiter is required for a news posting program to receive the
Good Netkeeping Seal of Approval."

http://www.gnksa.org/gnksa.txt

"15) Separate signatures correctly, and don't use excessive ones

Posting software SHOULD separate any signature appended to outgoing
articles from the main text with a line containing only `-- ' ("dash
dash space"). To quote son-of-rfc1036:

        <<If  a  poster or posting agent does append a signature to an
          article, the signature SHOULD be preceded with  a  delimiter
          line  containing  (only)  two hyphens (ASCII 45) followed by
          one blank (ASCII  32).   Posting  agents  SHOULD  limit  the
          length  of  signatures,  since  verbose  excess bordering on
          abuse is common if no restraint is imposed;  4  lines  is  a
          common limit.>>"

Patch looks good to me, I'm in favor of applying it.

Thanks,