[Quilt-dev] Re: Quilt and hard links

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: [Quilt-dev] Re: Quilt and hard links
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 11:48:06 +0200

Hello,

[CC'ing the quilt-dev list.]

On Thursday 19 October 2006 23:57, Marius Schamschula wrote:
> Andreas,
>
> I just tried to configure Quilt 0.46. I found that the script looks
> for cp -l, which is a GNU extension not found on *BSD systems.

Quilt relies on a number of GNU extensions. The instance of `cp -l' in
quilt/scripts/patchfns.in:apply_patch_temporarily() can easily be replaced
with a call to the backup-files utility, but I guess there will be a number
number of other places that use GNU extensions, failures in the test suite,
etc.

> Given
> that I'm building under Darwin, a.k.a Mac OS X, I have two choices:
>
> 1) install an incompatible set of GNU filesystem tools that don't
> know anything about extended file attributes, and risk serious
> problems (I'm talking from experience, I've been down this road before).

Which problems did you run into because of that?

> or
>
> 2) give up.
>
> I like neither choice!
>
> Any ideas?

Choice three would be to install GNU coreutils into a separate path and make
quilt use them by adding that directory to PATH in bin/quilt.in (and
configuring quilt with those utilities in the PATH before the MacOS
versions!).

Thanks,
Andreas