Re: [Quilt-dev] Re: can't apply orign.patch from latest mm snashot

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Re: can't apply orign.patch from latest mm snashot
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 23:42:26 +0100

On Tuesday 25 March 2008 23:09:45 Andrew Morton wrote:
> Let's cc quilt-dev.
>
> Guys, quilt cannot apply http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/origin.patch
> because patch(1) misinterprets some of the changelog text as being the
> start of a context diff.
>
> quilt should pass `-u' to patch(1) to prevent this.

Right now, this can be achieved in ~/.quiltrc or /etc/quilt.quiltrc by adding
the -u to QUILT_PATCH_OPTS.

Making this the default sounds like a good idea though; I doubt many people
use quilt with non-unified diffs. Let's see if this improves things.

> Even then, patch(1) still gets confused when people go and quote unified
> diffs within the changelog, even though those unified diffs are indented
> four spaces to the right.
>
> So probably an ideal solution would be to write a C program which reliably
> detects start-of-patch from a text file and instead of doing
>
>       patch < file.patch
>
> do
>
>       cat file.patch | filter-leading-gunk | patch

Sigh ... what patch does is just wrong. This problem should be fixed at its
root.

Thanks,
Andreas