[Quilt-dev] Using quilt on file systems that do not support hardlinks

From: Quilt newbie.
Subject: [Quilt-dev] Using quilt on file systems that do not support hardlinks
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:19:15 -0500

Greetings,

We are trying to use quilt on systems which use AFS (Andrew file system) for
home directories.  AFS is the chosen file system for our organization
and thus we cannot change it.  The problem is that quilt uses hard links for
some operations which fail on AFS when done across directories.  Does anyone
know if we can modify quilt so that this is no longer a requirement to use
hard links or explain why hard links are required?

An example quilt session that demonstrates the failure:

$ quilt series
patches/foo.patch
patches/bar.patch
$ quilt app
patches/foo.patch
$ quilt files
bar
$ quilt push
Applying patch patches/bar.patch
patching file bar

Now at patch patches/bar.patch
$ quilt pop
Removing patch patches/bar.patch
Restoring bar

Now at patch patches/foo.patch
$ quilt pop
cp: cannot create link `quilt.C17897/bar': Invalid cross-device link
cp: cannot create link `quilt.C17897/.timestamp': Invalid cross-device link
Failed to copy files to temporary directory

Regards and many thanks!