Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt refresh after quilt edit?

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt refresh after quilt edit?
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 22:27:01 +0200

On Monday 26 May 2008 13:43:15 address@hidden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been caught by forgetting a "quilt refresh" after a "quilt
> edit": later, the patches sent by "quilt mail" had wrong intermediate
> code.
>
> In which case is a "quilt refresh" *not* desirable after a "quilt edit"?

This really depends on your workflow. For example, I often complete a set of
changes across a set of files, check with" quilt diff -z" whether all the
changes are correct, and only then refresh the current patch (or put the
changes into a new patch with "quilt refresh -z").

> Anything wrong with making an option to "edit" that does the refresh?

I'm not entirely convinced that people actually use quilt this way (except in
very rare cases). What also irritates me is that changes to all files a patch
contains will end up in the patch, not only the changes from the edit command.

Andreas