[Quilt-dev] Converted to git; version 0.48

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: [Quilt-dev] Converted to git; version 0.48
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 02:04:21 +0100

Hello,

to make working with the quilt repository more enjoyable, I have switched from
cvs to git. The entire history has been preserved. You can reach the
repository at http://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/quilt.git for browsing, or
you can clone the repositore as follows for anonymous access:

  git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/quilt.git

For write access to the repository, as with cvs previously, you have to
register your ssh public key in your Savannah user configuration. After that,
clone the repository with:

  git clone ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/quilt.git

The git repository is identical with the latest version of the cvs repository,
with the following changes (you will see those changes in the topmost
commit):

 * I have converted the .cvsignore files to .gitignore.

 * The tarball name that "make snapshot" produces will now be similar to what
   you get with "git describe --tags", e.g., quilt-0.47-9-g039329a.tar.bz2,
   quilt-0.48.tar.bz2, quilt-0.48-dirty.tar.bz2, etc.

 * I have tagged the initial git tree is version 0.48.

From an anonymous, read-only user, little changes except that "git clone" is
necessary for the initial checkout, and from within the checked-out git
repository, "git pull" will fetch the latest upstream version. (Git goes a
long way beyond that of course; http://git-scm.com/documentation is a good
place t start reading.)

I have disabled cvs in the project configuration. Checked-out versions of the
old repository still appear to be functional though, I hope that will stop
soon: otherwise, I'll ask the Savannah admins to disable the old cvs
repository so that people won't falsely assume that they have the latest
version.

Regards,
Andreas