[Quilt-dev] WTF - removal of quilt remove

From: Steven Rostedt
Subject: [Quilt-dev] WTF - removal of quilt remove
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:30:52 -0400

I just updated my Debian distribution to find that quilt remove is no
longer available. This is quite annoying. I see there is a quilt revert
which is nice and useful, but it is by far no means a replacement for
quilt remove.

I use quilt on top of git, where I use quilt with a "debug.patch". That
is, I'll add a bunch of files to the patch and then add a bunch of debug
statements. When I find a bug in a file, and I don't need the debug in
that file, I simply do a quilt remove file.c  and then make the real
fix. I don't need to pop the debug patch off, and possible recompile the
whole kernel again, because the debug patch has changes to something
like sched.h.

The mode of operation is usually:

quilt add file.c
<add debug prints>
<find bug>
quilt remove file.c
<fix bug>
git add file.c
<continue looking for other bugs>

Note, I sometimes do quilt add file.c if I want to add more debug
statements to it.

Without quilt remove, this breaks this work flow.

Please, do not replace a valuable operation with something that is not
equivalent.

-- Steve

PS. please Cc me on replies, for I'm not subscribed to this list.