Re: [Quilt-dev] New function: Shift bottom patch to subversion

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] New function: Shift bottom patch to subversion
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 17:11:48 +0100

On Tuesday 24 November 2009 17:05:50 Hugo Mills wrote:
>    If I'm doing development with quilt, I usually come to the point
> where I want to commit the changes to subversion, and find the process
> a bit awkward. So I wrote a quilt module to shift the bottom patch of
> the stack into svn, taking the patch header as the commit message.

This seems quite useful to me. Some comments:

 * The script duplicates a lot of code from the push command; those functions
   should be moved to patchfns instead.

 * I'd like the command to be able to just forget about a patch (or several
   patches) without actually committing them anywhere.

 * Other version control systems like cvs, git, hg should be supported as
   well.

 * Is it possible to commit an applied patch to svn (or cvs) even when other
   patches are applied on top?  Quilt can compute what to commit under which
   filenames, but is svn add flexible enough to let quilt tell it what to do?
   (Git definitely is.)

>       cat_file "$patch_file" \
>               | patch_header > svn.commit

Can svn read the commit message from stdin instead?

>       # Pop the top patch (the one to commit)
>       if ! quilt pop
>       then
>               exit $?
>       fi
>
>       # Apply the patch outside quilt
>       cat_file "$patch_file" \
>               | patch -p1

That's quite ugly. It also doesn't honor different strip levels, default patch
and push options, etc.

>       # Remove the patch from the patch stack
>       if remove_from_series "$patch"

Can the patch be commented out in the series file instead of removing it?

Thanks,
Andreas