Re: [Quilt-dev] support for binary content in quilt patches, 2007 list d

From: Andreas Grünbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] support for binary content in quilt patches, 2007 list discussion
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:49:39 +0100

Miguel,

2012/11/23 Miguel Telleria de Esteban <address@hidden>
> With the danger of sounding recurrent (since this question was asked
> before and probably more than once) I would like to ask the status of
> support binary content in patch files.

I believe that the most reasonable way to get quilt to support binary patches would be to get GNU patch to support binary patches.

Quilt relies heavily on GNU patch's way of creating backup files, so "git apply" would be hard to use instead.

The status there is that textual git-style patches are supported, but binary diffs are not. The GNU patch repository already contains code for the base85 encoding, but git's delta format is not supported, yet. Any help there would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andreas