Re: [Quilt-dev] Old patch toward "quilt commit" that should be integrate

From: Martin Panter
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Old patch toward "quilt commit" that should be integrated
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 20:13:30 +1100

On 27 December 2012 22:06, Martin Quinson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It would be very good if the following patch could make its way into
> the next release. We have an old bug in Debian asking for this
> feature, too.
>
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/quilt-dev/2009-11/msg00071.html

Back when I used Quilt I used a modified version of Hugo’s “commit”
function. I remember I used this a lot for juggling and polishing
potential commits before pushing them to a Subversion repository. I
haven’t used Quilt in a very long time, but I still have my
modifications lying around. These are the ones of potential interest
to the “commit” function:

1. Fix simple errors and point out issues
https://github.com/vadmium/quilt/commit/f5a7978

2. Add a quilt commit -n ("dry run") option
https://github.com/vadmium/quilt/commit/beed18c

This printed out the commands to run so I could review exactly what
would be committed.

3. Make it so "quilt commit" on its own just commits the current patch
by default / rather than starting at the beginning.
https://github.com/vadmium/quilt/commit/e8f8dee

I often had to pop down to the first (or only) patch I wanted to
commit, so I found it helpful for the default action of “quilt commit”
being to commit the current patch only. My notes suggest this was more
consistent with how “quilt del” deletes the current one, “quilt head”
etc.

4. Commit a single patch by default
https://github.com/vadmium/quilt/commit/0f2bb2f

I think I meant “When a single patch name is given, just commit that
patch, rather than the series of patches beginning with that patch”.

5. Refuse to commit with empty message
https://github.com/vadmium/quilt/commit/08a677a

Changed to prevent committing without a patch header or log message
(in case you forgot one).