Re: [Quilt-dev] 27111 - bash completion

From: Daniel Lovasko
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] 27111 - bash completion
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 09:12:02 +0100

Hi,

I made some changes to make the patch without use of perl :)
What do you think?

Le dimanche 20 janvier 2013 à 21:46 +0100, Martin Quinson a écrit :
> Hello Daniel,
>
> well, I dunno. My feeling is that firering a perl process each time we
> press on tab is somehow wrong. But I now realize that quilt already
> depends on perl on several locations. That looks wrong to me but if
> the others don't mind, I guess that your patch can get in as it is.

I do agree with Martin's initial rant about using perl here. This is
simply wrong. I couldn't find any other bash completion script relying
on perl. Doing so would be wrong from a performance perspective.

Even from a dependency perspective it is wrong. While quilt does indeed
use perl for several helper scripts, none of these is mandatory. You can
do a lot with quilt without ever running guards, dependency-graph,
edmail or remove-trailing-ws.

So, please, no perl for bash completion. Please do the best you can with
sed, grep, awk and friends.

Thanks,
Suse L3